I came across this website, Tumbleweed Houses and just love it. It is a new movement of super small houses. While the small size of these homes is extreme, I have always felt in general that we live in houses that are way too large.
For some this would of course be way too small but for others it would be perfect! Can you imagine your monthly living expenses in a small house like that! You would barely have to work or still work forty hours a week but sock more into savings!
I would love to live in a yurt or a
small cabin.
People complain that they need more space for bigger families when in fact it is just a larger area to store all of their shit. The lies we tell ourselves to justify our selfishness and choices. Get rid of the play stations (play outside), huge TV (read), indoor treadmills that barely get used (walk outdoors), etc. Yes I know that pesky rainy Oregon weather gets in the way of outdoor activities, whatevah...just get rain gear for walks and bike rides. Not much room is needed for bedrooms, living room, bathroom and kitchen for a family with kids if you have less crap taking up space.
Purging is a wonderful thing, I detest clutter. If it has not been used in a year, it goes to charity. My apartment is a small, one-bedroom. I only have a desk, office chair, love seat, small folding kitchen table, dresser, bed on my floor, small bookshelf and nightstand used as an end table. Living this way is wonderful and I continue to look for ways to pare down even more. I have the minimal amount of dishware and silverware. I mean how many spoons do I need? Just wash it after using it.
After I moved here, I have not had a microwave. I don't really have the counter space for it so I just use a pot to heat things up on the stove. I could not justify spending money on purchasing one when I only use it for warming up my coffee after adding cold rice milk, making popcorn and the occasional organic microwave meal. It was odd at first but now I am used to it.
Even with this minimal amount of stuff, I still feel like I have too much. Especially when it comes to moving time. I never carry renter's insurance as I could give a shit less if all of my possessions burn up. Only thing I would save is my Pugs and cat .
When my desktop computer dies, I will just get a laptop and get rid of my computer desk and office chair. Although small, I never use my kitchen table since I eat on the couch in my living room so that will probably go too.
I really like the neighborhood I live in now around 30th and Grant. There are a lot of small, quaint older homes that people have remodeled while maintaining the original old house style with craftsman details.
I enjoy taking walks in the early evenings with my Pugs so I can see the neat little houses lit up with the light pouring through the old paned windows. People with these types of homes often use bold colors on the exterior and interior walls. LOVE IT! Since the houses are smaller and take up less of the lot, there is more room left over for lovely, artistic garden areas and creative, original landscaping .
I detest the new soulless box house construction and the suburban neighborhoods they inhabit. The houses are so huge and take up the whole lot leaving room for only a postage size lawn with a few strips of barkomulch.
Give me an old house with wood floors any day.
mercredi 27 août 2008
Inscription à :
Publier les commentaires (Atom)

Aucun commentaire:
Enregistrer un commentaire